Well, we survived our first week alone. (By "alone," I mean none of our extended family was living with us.) Admittedly I had a lot of help throughout the week though, whether our wonderful doula, Carla, was here so I could take care of household chores, or our great night nurse, Linda, spoiled me by letting me sleep in a bit. Friends and family stopping by has been nice too, as it gives me another adult to talk to (and watch the girls for a minute if need be) and breaks up the day. Great Aunt Janis, Joy and her 2-year old daughter Cordelia, and my friend Robin from London all visited us this week. Friday was my first full day alone with the girls, and they were very well-behaved for me. The trickiest part is when they both want to eat at the same time, so I've been experimenting with different tactics to figure out what works best.
Thursday was a big day for the girls. They had their 2-month doctor appointment and immunizations. Matt held the girls while they got their shots so I didn't have to watch. They both screamed louder than we've ever heard for about 30 seconds, and then went back to drinking their bottles. After a sleepy car ride home, we took them on a walk in their stroller, during which they continued to sleep. Once home, they both woke up and started crying and screaming at the top of their lungs. We figured they were upset and sore from the shots in their legs, but unfortunately we hadn't picked up baby Tylenol from the store yet. (What can we say, we're learning as we go!) Once we calmed them down, Matt raced to the drugstore and got back in record time before the girls started screaming again. We got the Tylenol in them, and after another hour of screaming, the medicine kicked in. Whew!
While at the doctor's office, the nurse weighed the girls. They continue to grow faster than we can believe! In one week's time, Mia gained 10 oz. and is up to 8 lbs, 9 oz, and Emma gained nearly a pound and is up to 9 lbs, 4 oz! The doctor was very impressed. I realized that each of them are just a couple ounces way from doubling their birth weight.
It's nice that the weekend is here so the four of us can hang out. We plan to get out for another walk with the girls - either in their strollers or baby carriers. Tonight I'm getting out of the house to have dinner with my friend Carrie while Matt stays with the girls. He got to play softball last night. Someday we'll be able to get out together! I'm also looking forward to my first Mother's Day tomorrow!
Photos:
1) & 2) Emma (left) and Mia (right) play on the chaise with their stuffed animals
3) A typical view for Megan during the day: feeding Mia on the boppy while bouncing Emma in her bouncy seat (switch girls and repeat...)
No comments:
Post a Comment